Dear Chairman and Commissioners,
The International Corporate Accountability Roundtable (“ICAR”) is a coalition of leading human rights groups including Amnesty International, EarthRights International, Global Witness, Human Rights First, and Human Rights Watch. ICAR, along with our partner the Enough Project, submit this update to your offices concerning recent news articles and blog posts made in support of Section 1502 of the Dodd-Frank Act, and of the SEC crafting strong rules to give full force to the law’s intent. We reiterate our request that the final rule allow for no delays in implementation, including delays in reporting requirements. We also ask that the SEC issue the final rules as soon as possible.
Enclosed, please find:
- Global Witness Fact Sheet on Conflict Minerals;
- Article by Salil Tripathi, Director of Policy at the Institute for Human Rights and Business, published in the Guardian;
- Article by Sasha Lezhnev, Policy Consultant at the Enough Project, published by the Huffington Post;
- Article by Jason Stearns, an academic who has spent 10 years working on DRC issues and was named by the UN to lead a special investigation into the violence in the country;
- Four Letters to the Editor, published in the New York Times;
- Post by Brilliant Earth Jewelers, published on Greenwala.
International Corporate Accountability Roundtable